An Interview

Last Friday, I had my first ever opportunity to be on the other side of the interview table. I was sitting in with my boss to interview this guy. He is a FT from the Myanmar and obtain his tertiary education in UK.

What strike me to write this entry was the mention of the word "Passion". His passion for networking technology and networking has driven him to get work all over the globe. (Well at least in Europe and Asia).

From this I know that he will be a good person to work with and I hope very much that he will join. Passion is a commodity in this line of work that is sorely lacking. It is infectious in a good way. It drive people to do better than what is required, to perform to excel and most importantly to learn.

I had no doubt about his ability. From his mentioned of the open source monitoring tools that he has used, he knows what he needs and where to fulfill his needs. I no doubt can learn from any knowledge sharing session we can have.


On the other hand, observing my boss interviewing another person other than myself, I inferred, that his skills as a interviewer is not really that good. What he asked is have you ever used this equipments, what brand, what version, what model. He will just quote some product and feel that using that product is a great thing. The product he quoted was CA UniCenter Enterprise Management Tool. Nothing too big deal about that product from what I know.

I think an interview should allow one to find out the experience the interviewee has and also to attempt to confirm that he has that knowledge. Of course as a fellow employee in the same team, it will also allow use to make a rough estimate of if he can be a good team player on the same team.

Team dynamics are a science in itself. It will allow 1+1 > 2. That is what I feel I want.

2 comments:

chihungchan said...

Passion = e ^ (- days_joined)
At least the above equation applies to me.

Knowing a commercial product is important, IMHO the most importance is to know the underlying technology. With that, you can still do the work without the presence of that product. Also, it would be a lot easier to pick up other products.

Why boss mention product instead of technologies ? 'Cos they do not know the technologies, :-)

Ah Choo said...

Exactly. Cannot put it better. How did they sell an idea in the first place?